MDM4U: Mathematics of Data management
Program Duration: 1.5Hours/Week for 4 Months
This course broadens students’ understanding of mathematics as it relates to managing data. Students will apply methods for organizing and analyzing large amounts of information; solve problems involving probability and statistics, and carry out a culminating investigation that integrates statistical concepts and skills. Students will also refine their use of the mathematical processes necessary for success in senior mathematics. Students planning to enter university programs in business, the social sciences, and the humanities will find this course of particular interest.
By the end of this course, students will:
• Solve problems involving the probability of an event or a combination of events for discrete sample spaces.
• Solve problems involving the application of permutations and combinations to determine the probability of an event.
• Demonstrate an understanding of discrete probability distributions, represent them numerically, graphically, and algebraically, determine expected values, and solve related problems from a variety of applications;
• Demonstrate an understanding of continuous probability distributions, make connections to discrete probability distributions, determine standard deviations, describe key features of the normal distribution, and solve related problems from a variety of applications.
• Demonstrate an understanding of the role of data in statistical studies and the variability inherent in data, and distinguish different types of data;
• Describe the characteristics of a good sample, some sampling techniques, and principles of primary data collection, and collect and organize data to solve a problem.
• Analyse, interpret and draw conclusions from one-variable data using numerical and graphical summaries.
• Analyse, interpret and draw conclusions from two-variable data using numerical, graphical, and algebraic summaries.
• Demonstrate an understanding of the applications of data management used by the media and the advertising industry and in various occupations.
• Design and carry out a culminating investigation that requires the integration and application of the knowledge and skills related to the expectations of this course.